Well these are the finished product. Yummo… But Would I make them again remains to be seen Kale does last along time in the refrigerator so maybe with this same bunch. You can buy it pre-cut however I bought a huge bunch and chunked it up myself.
So let me give you the recipe first
- 2 bunches kale
- 2 heaping Tb. sunflower seed butter (or any savory nut butter. I have used tahini)
- 1 Tb. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder (or substitute curry powder)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Wash the kale and dry thoroughly with paper towels. Pull the leaves off the center ribs in large pieces, and place in a large bowl. Discard the ribs. ( I compost mine)
- In a small bowl mix the nut butter, oil, spices, and salt. Pour over the kale. Use your hands to massage the kale leaves until each one is evenly coated with the spice mixture. You don’t want any of the leaves to be drenched in the mixture, so take your time doing this. The more evenly the kale leaves are coated, the better they will bake.
- Lay the kale leaves out flat on 3-4 full sized baking sheets (work in batches if necessary.) Do not overlap. Bake for 10-11 minutes until crisp, but still green. Cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet before moving. If some kale chips are still a little flimsy or damp, remove the crisp chips and place the damp chips back in the oven for a few more minutes. Store in an air-tight container.
This was the color of it I started to spread it on and thought oh I should be Blogging about these.
Here I am massaging my Kale to evenly coat each piece.
And you saw the finished bowlful. So is it something you might try? They get really crispy and are very flavorful. I was surprised I had a friend over and she even liked them. Husband of course would have liked them better with butter, cheese and or bacon!!! Let me know what you think if you would make them and if you liked them. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for taking the time to comment.
God’s grace, peace, light, and love to you always. In Jesus’ service Doreen✞ ✞ ✞
Oh and here is a freebie I played with